Sunday, February 22, 2009

Randy Pausch Last Lecture

I have watched Randy Pausch Last Lecture many times and it inspires and motivates me more each time. Randy was a wonderful, brilliant man who gave so much to others in numerous ways. He taught at MIT and Carnegie Mellon and challenged his students to be the best that they could be. He went beyond achieving his childhood dreams and even enabled others in fulfilling their dreams.
Having worked hard to achieve his childhood dreams, Randy used his experiences in motivating his students to work just as hard. He believed in his students and their dreams. His pioneer course, Building Virtual Worlds, gave his students the opportunity to show Pausch how gifted and excited they were about their projects. He was "blown away" by their work and challenged them to go farther. Putting his students into groups, Pausch's course was all about bonding.
When Pausch moved to Carnegie Mellon he was part of The Dream Fulfillment Factory. This course consisted of artists and technologists working together making things. Through the hard work of Pausch and his colleague, ETC became a global phenomenon. They invented a novel way of teaching computer programming called "Alice". Pausch used peer feedback to help his students take critism and use it to their advantage.
Randy Pausch was an inspiration. His thought on life and education was, "Brick walls are there for a reason; they let us prove how badly we want things". He ran into many walls and still fulfilled his childhood dreams. His respect for his family, friends and students inspired him to enable the dreams of others. My favorite bit of knowledge he shared was," Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted". What a awesome thought and man!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lynda,
    It's me (one of your favorite basket cases) LOL.
    I was reading over your blog and wanted to comment on it because I thought that it was very well written. I can't believe I've never heard this man speak before. He is awesome--or was...It's so sad that he's gone. H never seemed to let it get him down though. I kinda felt selfish (or maybe the right word is weak) when I read it the first time because I was having a really bad day; missing my loved ones that are gone--I mean, I REALLY had a bad day with it today. Here I was totally depressed about Eric and this guy, Pausch, is happy even went talking of his soon demise. I wish I had half of his strength. He truly is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda,
    You are so right he is such and inspiration. I would have loved to been able to sit in on one of his lectures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent write up. He is/was truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete