Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Week 14 Pros and Cons of Blogs

Our assignment for this week is to read a classmate's entire blog site and gives the pluses and minuses of blogs in the classroom. I read Kimberbna Griggs blogs and she took great time and gave in depth information on her subjects. At the beginning of this class, I thought that when I became a teacher I would not have time for blogs. After reading several of my classmates blogs, I see the views that other people have on different subjects and how it can affects my thinking and comprehending. I enjoyed reading Kimberna's blogs and looking at her thoughts about podcasts, blogs, math & technology, ACCESS, Alex and International School Teachers.

The pros for blogs in the classroom are that many students can converse with other students all over the world. They can look up blogs about different subjects and most schools provide students with a homework blog. Students can create their own blogspots and check them daily at school. Blogs are a great way to communicate with anyone and anywhere. Technology blogs are useful in the classroom and provide information on the many technological resources for students and teachers. Teachers can create a blogspot for parents to comment and check on the lessons being taught in the classroom. Pictures on blogspots give parents a feeling of watching their children learn and grow in school.

The minuses of blogs are maybe that blogs may contain material not appropriate for the classroom. Blogs are a great way to communicate, but maybe not for the younger children in the classroom. It's hard to think of anything that would be negative about blogs. So far, I have found nothing inappropriate and hopefully never will. Teachers using blogs in the classroom need to keep the information up to date and I'm sure it can be time consuming. I just really don't see a lot of minuses with sharing information.

I may have complained every now and then about having to post a blog every week, but I have learned a great deal from doing my home work. Before this class, I had never blogged and now I feel like an old pro. Okay, not really!!! I'm still learning and by the looks of it, I have a lot to learn. I now have the knowledge to introduce blogs into the classroom and teach my students what I have learned. Blogs are pretty cool when you want to share your thoughts with the world!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lynda, I got your message. How can I help you? You can contact me via my school's email jane_ross@swa-jkt.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynda,

    Wow! You’re on the ball this week, huh? Very nice job on your blog, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEy...I used your blog in my post for this week....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you are thinking about using blogs. The great thing is you can customize your blog for your class. You have seen what other teachers do for their classes. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete